29.9.10

Liquid Glass by Zathyn Priest

Liquid Glass by Zathyn Priest
Stars: 2.5/5

Overall:
True love. Soul mates. Whatever you want to call it, Priest has it stretch across time and existence. I didn't really know what I was getting into when I started reading this story; in fact, I had some very wrong assumptions (which, after reading the description of the book, I'm not sure where they came from). We are given a ghost story in the barest sense that it involves ghosts and the past, but more importantly it involves true love which struggles through the ages to finally be happy together. While I didn't suffer while reading it, I wasn't captivated either. I'll probably give the author another chance, since I enjoyed one of his short stories.

What I liked
Story. The overall arch of the story was pretty interesting once they got into it and the action started happening. The flashbacks did an excellent job of explaining what was happening without further exposition (see What didn't work). Although it wasn't an intense story, it was "creepy" enough for it's ghost-story-like charms.

Characters. Most of the characters were enjoyable and complimented one another well.

True love. I'm a giant sucker for the idea of true love and soul mates, so this novel pushed that button hard. I really enjoyed the soul mates once they came together because they didn't completely lose their own identity. (Completely, see What didn't work.)

What didn't work
Over explaining. This problem mostly comes to head when Trudy is narrating. While she is the most knowledgeable about psychic abilities, she also tells the reader too much. While she has an important role plot wise, I'd rather if the author didn't use her as an unnecessary crutch to tell the reader things...things that we didn't really need to know in the first place. This is seen most clearly toward the end of the novel in the falling action when she pretty much tells all. In monologue. I felt like the author was trying to justify his own story when he didn't need to--I followed along with him until then.

Character loop hole. Cameron is frugal, a penny pincher, what have you. But as soon as his true love arrives, he's willing to blow massive amounts of money on him. I can't buy it. Yes, love makes you do crazy things, but love also rarely changes deep-seated behavior traits like that. It felt horribly out of character for him.

Construction. The story didn't grab me right off the bat, which I find to be a failing of any story/novel. Why should I continue if I'm barely interested? I realize some stories take time to build into a complex weave (and this one did have a fair amount of weave to work with), I still needed to be pulled in quicker than I was. Mostly the first few chapters left me annoyed, although it didn't help Malcom and Trudy initially led the story, and they were my least two favorite characters.

No comments: