10.12.10

Velvet Glove, Vol 1 by Sean Michael

Velvet Glove, Vol 1 by Sean Michael
Stars: 5/5

Overall
Welcome to BDSM 101. Care for a drink? Something to eat? Something to whip?

In all seriousness, this volume does read like BDSM 101, introducing the club, the world and the concepts though the stories of two men who are new to the whole thing and have no idea what they're getting into. Compared to some later stories in the volumes (and some additional stories), these will seem tame, but it doesn't make their coming together any less sweet. I think this would be a great start for someone curious about BDSM romance but who doesn't think they'd be able to handle hardcore activities.

Strengths
Romantic happy endings. Michael always gives us our happy ending and does so here. He creates a world which seems to work off the concept of everyone has their true love (um, loves), and while his stories could be repetitive if read in succession (as in, reading volumes 1, 2, and 4 in one weekend), they give what the reader wants.

Writing. While the writing didn't feel as strong as in Velvet Need, I was never disappointed. In fact, I started rereading the book the next day to try to stave off starting the next volume. It didn't work, but I tried.

Weaknesses
Name abuse. This is really the only thing I can think of calling it. I understand when writing actions sometimes names are necessary to differentiate since the pronouns are the same, but that I can deal with. He tends to write dialogue with a lot of name dropping ("Simon, I trust you." "Thank you, Jack." "You're welcome, Simon." Though maybe nothing quite so bad). I think a fair number could be cut, especially those outside of scenes (they seem fitting in a scene). It is never disruptive enough to rip me from my reading rhythm, but it was noticeable.

No comments: