9.8.10

Book review: An Uncommon Whore

An Uncommon Whore by Belinda McBride

Overall:
Surprisingly enjoyable. Read for the M/M Romance group, the topic of "spaceman" isn't something that would normally catch my eye, but the story was well told, flowed nicely and seemed probable (you know, considering they're in space). There was never really much of a suspenseful climatic moment (except emotionally for one character), and the end just kinda happens, but it worked in an oddly unique way.

What I liked
Nothing particularly blew me away with this story, but I think I was so surprised that I actually enjoyed it that I don't think anything could have surprised me more than that did.

The characters were enjoyable and layered, especially our narrator, which I found refreshing, because he could have been very flat. Although he was a slave and needed rescued, he wasn't weak all the time and he had his strengths.

Happy ending. I was really rather satisfied with the ending, "abrupt" as it may have been.

What didn't work
The end did surprise me, in that I was reading along and then suddenly THE END was at the bottom of the page and I really wanted more. I don't think it was an inappropriate time for the end, but it did kind of surprise me. I think it's because there was no grand climax (uh..plot wise), to signal the dropping action.

The plot wasn't heavy. There wasn't really a giant challenge to overcome, physically or politically, just emotionally for one of the characters. If you're a reader who needs this "dun dun dun" moment, then this might not be the story for you. On the other hand, if you can read about guys doing stuff and healing emotionally (and sexually), with some small spurts of action (coughcough) then it'll be fine.

No comments: