2.8.10

Book review - The Angel of Thirteenth Street

The Angel of Thirteenth Street by Eden Winters

Overall:
Enjoyable, good plot, good characters. This story didn't blow me out of the water by any means, but I'll go back and re-read it. Sometimes the characters are a bit frustrating, and there are only two sex scenes (if you're keeping track), but overall, pleasant.

What I liked
The plot. The story was exciting, but not too far-fetched, and everything unveiled itself at a good pace. There weren't any moments (that I recall) where the reader is thrown for a loop, and instances where we may start questioning were "explained away" well enough.

The characters were strong and varied. Our "damsel" in the beginning wasn't a damsel by halfway, which was refreshing. I enjoyed the challenges Noah faced, both physically and emotionally, and the conclusion felt right to me for all parties involved.

What didn't work
Most of the chapters were from Noah's perspective, but we had a smattering from Jeremy's, one from the judge's and one from Billy's. It felt a little inconsistent, and when I started reading the chapters that weren't from Noah's pov, it threw me off a little. It also felt like this was being used as a crutch to explain things that the author couldn't get across otherwise. But this is a rather mild complaint.

No comments: